Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 39: Then There Were Three: A Delivery Story

Hey guys!

So I'm picking back up where I left off. This post will be all about my delivery which happened to be a week early.

As I posted in earlier blogs, I was beyond miserable at this point. I had been working from home since I had been having uncomfortable contractions for over a week. That Monday after working from home a full week, I decided that since I was clearly going to have to be induced, I might as well go back to the office. Sitting at home all day alone was only fueling my misery anyway. So I went in to work on December 15. My boss knew I was miserable and so he said to work as long as I could. I stuck it out until around 4pm that day I think. I actually had quite a bit of things to keep me occupied so I made myself busy and got through it.

That night I was so exhausted, but I knew that come the next morning I would be sitting in my doctor's office discussing when my induction date would be!

I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and I remember saying " OK Alden, since you don't want to come out, now mommy is going to have to get induced and go through extra pain!" That morning I got up and as I was getting ready to take a shower I started leaking fluid. I told Chris that I thought my water was breaking, but then after a few seconds it stopped. FALSE ALARM I guess!

I took a shower and sat down to fix my hair. Chris said he wanted to grab a bite to eat before my appointment so he got up to get ready. I finished my hair and went to the bathroom to put my straightener away. The second my feet hit the tile BAM... my water breaks. My pants were soaked, the floor was soaked! I said " OK this has to be my water because I'M NOT PEEING RIGHT NOW!" Chris flew out of the shower faster than I've ever seen him move and the race was on! This was around 7:30 in the morning.

I was actually super calm even though Chris was in panic mode. We made it to the hospital around 7:45 am. They checked me and sure enough my water had broke. I was only at 1.5 cm at this point so they had to give me Pitocin. Right when my contractions started getting bad the anesthesiologist showed up to give me my epidural. I got it around 10:30am. I'm so glad it worked out that way because I was able to relax the entire day.

Friends and family came and went through out the day. I brought The Office with me so we ended up having a marathon.

Finally the time arrived that night and it was time to start pushing. I'm not sure when I started pushing because I was in the zone at that point.
Fun side note: The hospital was doing construction and had planned some outages that night. Go figure the very first time I started pushing, the power goes out. Everything went black for a second while the nurses got the generated lights turned on. The staff was GREAT though because nobody flinched or let that distract them, they just kept on counting me through my pushes.

The Dr came in and started taking over. She noted that his head was having trouble getting past my pubic bone, so she told Chris the options of either cutting me, or using the vacuum.  Chris told her to go ahead and make the cut. It's funny because I heard that conversation going on, but I felt like I wasn't really there. Even if the Dr. had asked what I wanted to do, I wouldn't have answered her!

Finally his big old head made its way out and then next thing I know... we've got a baby boy!

Alden was born December 16,2014 at 9:08 pm. He weighed 8lbs 3.6 oz (again.. this was a WEEK early) and 20 inches long!
Shortly after he was placed in my arms, and then taken away for measurements, clean-up, etc... they let me know that I apparently had some sort of infection and was running a high fever. Alden was also.. I believe his temp was 103, so they explained he would have to go to the nursery, get an IV and get some tests and antibiotics.
That was the most terrifying moment for me. I was so worried something was going to happen to him. I wasn't worried about myself, I wanted to get out of the bed and be with him.

Eventually around 10:30-11:00 pm they brought him back to me. Having him in my arms without all the hustle and bustle of clean-up was beautiful. I was instantly in love!
We ended up getting to leave the hospital on the 19th. He had to stay until his 48 hour test results came back. Turns out nothing was wrong with him! Thank goodness! I think the only time I slept when we were in there was the very short periods when they would take him to the nursery to give him the antibiotics, or I'd occasionally doze off while holding him.

So that's my delivery story! :)
I'll end with some extra pictures!



Thanks for reading you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment