Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week 25: First emergency hospital trip!

Hey Guys!

It's week 25 which means I have 15 weeks left on this journey! Its starting to go so fast and I'm starting to worry about weather or not Alden's room will be ready in time. What keeps me sane is that I remind myself that he won't be sleeping in his actual room for a while after birth anyways, so even if we don't get it ready until AFTER he's here it'll be OK. I think we will be alright though considering that Chris always waits until last minute to do things anyways!

So I had a MAJOR scare this week which could have been so much worse! For those who are friends with me on Facebook you know that I went to the hospital yesterday and that it was because of a black out I experienced while driving to work. That's probably about all you knew unless me, Chris or my mom told you more in depth. I figured I'd write about it this week.

I got up on Wednesday morning and started getting ready for work. Lately I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast which is exactly what I had yesterday. I took off for work and I felt 100% normal. I wasn't dizzy, nauseous, hot, uncomfortable.. nothing. I got over half way to work when the traffic built up, in the usual spot.. nothing new for me. So I'm sitting there cruising along when all of the sudden I started getting hot. I turned the a/c on high and I was able to cool down. Well then I started feeling nauseous and my heart started beating fast. I've been through this before so I knew I was probably going to throw up. The problem was... I was in the far left lane, there is construction going on so NO shoulder to pull onto, and there is NO way I was going to get across 4 lanes to exit. Now not only am I feeling miserable, but I'm trying to figure out where I am going to throw up at. I really wanted to avoid it if I could so I just tried to not to think about it. I kept telling myself if I could make it a little bit longer to my exit that I would be OK.

Things started getting really hazy and at this point I was starting to get scared. I thought that if I called Chris that he could keep me focused until the feeling passed, or until I was able to pull over somewhere. Well, he didn't answer at first. I'm pretty sure he called back within under a minute but it felt like FOREVER! I remember I kept saying " help me, someone help me!" I was just panicked. My plan wasn't working and I was getting worse. That's when I heard my phone ring and I knew it was Chris. I picked up and told him I was going to pass out. He kept asking where I was and I had no FREAKING IDEA! I knew I was on 30, but I didn't know the exit. I was fading in and out at this point and so he was talking to me telling me to pull over. At that point I just started pulling over and lucky for me the shoulder opened back up at that point. I'm pretty sure I almost hit a construction barrel. Once I realized I was stopped it helped me out because I wasn't panicked anymore. Then I noticed a lady pulled over behind me. She came up to me and I told her I needed help so she called 911.

I ended up calling my mom to tell her what was going on. It dawned on me that I hadn't felt Alden moving all morning. Combine that with the firetrucks that were now  in front and behind my car and I went BACK into panic mode! At first the firemen were talking to me about getting into a wreck and I kept telling them I wasn't in a wreck. Finally an older Fireman came up to my window and started talking to me and telling me that he's seen this happen to pregnant women ALL the time and that the babies are always fine.He kept me occupied until the medics got there. They took my blood sugar, blood pressure, checked my pulse, checked my oxygen levels. everything was fine!

By that point Chris had found us and came bolting up to the window. They told him I was OK but that I should probably go to the hospital for additional tests and to check on the baby. So that's exactly what we did. Chris left his car sitting there on the side of the road, got me moved into the passenger seat of my car and we took off! Thankfully we were only about a mile from the hospital.

FUN FACT: As it turns out my mirror brushed up against a ladies car(while I was pulling over, or while I was driving I'm not sure), which is why she stopped behind me. She thought I was stopping to give her my information. I didn't believe Chris when he told me at first because I was sure that bumping into someone's car would have brought me out of my black out. There was literally no damage, just a tiny little scrape. I think its probably best that that happened though, because she was able to see something was wrong and call 911.

We got to the hospital and they brought me up to labor and delivery right away. I got changed into a gown and then the nurse went to find Alden's heartbeat so she could put the monitor band on. She was having some trouble finding it at first and I could see the panic on Chris's face. I was trying my best to not get upset but its SCARY going through all that mess, not feeling him move and then not hearing the heartbeat right away. She found it and THANK GOODNESS. Chris looked like he was going to pass out. Of course once they put those bands on Alden started kicking and moving like a wild child!

I had to have some tests run and it turns out my iron was really low. I was taking iron but back when I was taking Zofran the combination of the 2 was just too hard on my stomach. My Dr. told me to stop taking the iron, and I haven't had any issues since then. They just told me to start taking it again and if its too hard on my stomach they can prescribe me one that wont be.

This morning Chris got up and cooked us a good breakfast and I took my iron. Either my stomach, or Alden were not fans because I ended up throwing it all back up! Thankfully I was able to make it to work and I've been doing alright. I feel pretty blah, but I'm making it through.

well that's it for this week. I'll leave you guys with the photo Chris took while I was laying there looking all sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment